Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bicycle for Ransom
















Introducing David. He did not heed the warnings about the potential fate of his bent, cruddy, ridiculous, one-wheeled bicycle left chained to a parking meter for weeks on end in the front of my Cafe. Also introducing David's bicycle, formerly Eileen's bicycle, loved beyond reason and compare despite having seen far better days. Missing a wheel at the moment. If you knew my family you would understand how easy it was for me to come up with the idea of kidnapping the bike as a natural consequence type thing. Eeeeeasy as pie. Yet this morning I am having difficulty managing to think up a clever way to return it.
Possession, I have heard, is 9/10ths of the law. I am not a lawyer, but right now I believe that statement to be true. Time and feelings of possession seem to grow with each other. Like secret knowledge, possession sparks different instincts. One can never go back to one's prepossession thoughts. Of course, people hear about employee theft all the time. But they hear far less about employer theft-- yet here I sit. Employer, thief. To be fair to myself, I did give warning. And I have had help. What price? Next I shall introduce Charlie & Colin, A.K.A The Bad Guys (They wrote the ransom note. Actually, several ransom notes. God, where they punched in when they did that?)

6 comments:

militantantifoodie said...

Harsh. What a mean description of the bike. just because a bike is ugly doesn’t make it any less important or special. Just because a bike is ugly doesn’t mean it doesn’t ride, it doesn’t perform when asked to, it doesn’t FEEL! i wonder if David is a forgiving person? Maybe he is the type of person to engage in excessive revenge..?The type of person who waits two or three months before he takes his revenge...

Anonymous said...

Stop being mean to David! Free the crappy bike!

Heh!

Meanwhile, great website, Miss Lisa!
-Mike

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it is gone. It was an eyesore and David was asking for trouble, leaving it there, chained up for months. Is that any way for a bicycle to live, IS it?!

militantantifoodie said...

I heard it was chained up for under a month and it was simply because the Wisconsin winter had frozen it there. I'm sure if Dave was making a living wage he would have been able to by the needed materials to get his back out of the 10 inch thick brick of ice that enclosed the poor bicycle, and put it back on the Madison roads where it belongs. I am absolutely sure that David would have moved that back if it were a possibility anytime sooner. Being a regular Customer of the cafe I have to say i was privy to some cafe conversation appears David and the bad guys had the same idea, on the same day...

Anonymous said...

I think the "bad guys" are getting a bad rap here... I mean, what were they doing? Simply looking out for the best interests of the cafe, and trying to teach the young man a lesson in the process.
I'm sure the very young David is a nice little man, and had no evil intentions; it's like a child leaving his toys out. I am also sure that the "bad guys" are just two insightful, sensitive, intelligent, handsome, virile, charismatic, sexy, well-built, normal men, and just wanted to help the child-boy David learn to clean up after himself.

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for the bike, what if David was chained to the front of the building with only one shoe? Would be be equally as compasionate?